Last week I got a no bootable device error after my computer completely froze up forcing me to restart. This had happened a handful of times in recent months, but it always booted up after a couple restarts. This time it didn't. Here's what I've done:
- Reset the battery, and re-seated the SSD
- Checked bios for correct date, and switched from UEFI to Legacy then back again
Used Windows installation media to:
- diagnose a problem (none found)
- Recover to a restore point. One was found and the process was successful. Still no boot.
- restore to a previous version and load from an image, but neither were found
- Fresh install of Windows. The media found my SSD, identified the partitions, and successfully installed. I did this twice, so now I have three versions of windows on the SSD. Still no boot.
- Installed Windows on my HDD (normally for storage). Installation was successful. Still no boot.
Then I tried:
- Taking out the SSD and only booting from HDD. No boot error. Tried installing windows again on it, but got an error saying it could not find or create a partition (even though it had already successfully installed, i thought)
- Taking out the HDD and only booting with the SSD.
Then I used the command prompt (following instructions on a website):
- to check and fix the MBR
- rebuild the MBR
- perform a scandisk to identify and fix errors. This process took hours, and at the end got an error that said it could not complete for fix the issues
- Finally I made a bootable media with the AOMEI Partition Assistant program on it, and followed the instructions to rebuild the MBR from scratch. This took the program several hours to do. However, still no bootable device error.